Get Involved in Philoptochos, and help us help others! You’ll be amazed at all the things that Philoptochos does!
CALENDAR of PHILOPTOCHOS EVENTS 2019
Philoptochos Membership is ongoing throughout the year. Philoptochos needs YOU to fulfill its mission! You can support Philoptochos either as an active member or as a supportive member. For those too busy to attend a monthly meeting or be involved in any of its ministries or activities, your yearly $30 or more membership is a meaningful way to participate and offer your assistance. Help us to help others by becoming a Philoptochos member of the largest Christian women’s Philanthropic organization in the country!
Ladies Philoptochos Society of Ss. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Philoptochos, established in 1931 by the late Patriarch Athenagoras I, means “friend of the poor.” It is a volunteer organization that initiates and/or supports many church activities and projects.
– To preserve the sacredness of the Orthodox family through family concern, service, unity of action; to perpetuate the Christian concept of marriage and upbringing of children and through it perpetuate and promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions in conformity with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages, and customs;
– To promote the charitable, benevolent, philanthropic, and eleemosynary of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese by instructional programming, presentations, lectures, seminars, and other educational resources;
– To formulate plans and methods to voluntarily aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters; to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through special funds or solicitations on the local level; and
– To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
In 1999, the Ladies Philoptochos Society of Ss. Constantine and Helen was formed with great excitement. From the chapter’s inception, members met at each other’s homes, libraries, schools, community rooms, and restaurants to organize and create the fundraising and outreach calendar we have today. Our active schedule of events reflects the commitment of our members and parish—your loving support is critical to our philanthropic successes.
Ladies age 18 and older who are members of our parish are invited to become members of the Philoptochos. Our annual membership drive begins in January. Current and new members are requested to the treasurer. However, we encourage membership renewals and gladly welcome new members throughout the year.
At the end of 2015, the Ladies Philoptochos Society of Ss. Constantine and Helen had over __ members. There are __ chapters in our Metropolis.
Organizations Supported by Philoptochos
In our chapter’s short history, we have supported our National and Metropolis obligations and charities, in addition to the following:
– The Ecumenical Patriarchate